I have been advised of a new number for non emergencies for the Police, which is 101. However, 999 should still be used in emergencies. I have been given the following information about 101 by the Police, as follows:

When should I call 101 ?

To report less urgent incidents and for general police enquiries, for example:

–     Reporting a Crime

–     Reporting anti-social behaviour

–     Reporting information to the police

 2. How does it work?

You can call 101 to contact West Yorkshire Police. The service is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. For more information visit

3. What does it cost to call 101?

All calls to 101 cost only 15 pence, even from mobiles and no matter what time of day or how long your call.

4. Can I call 101 if I’m deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired, or if English is not my first language?

Yes, if you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can textphone 18001 101.

If you have difficulty speaking English your local police can access interpreters who can translate your call.

They have reiterated that you must always call 999 in an emergency.