I have been advised by West Yorkshire Trading Standards that there were over 1170 doorstep selling complaints in Yorkshire and Humber. West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service is joining forces with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT)’s Summer Doorstep Selling campaign to empower local residents to deal with untoward doorstep sellers.
Research says the elderly are particularly at risk of doorstep selling scams. They are offering tips to people on how to deal with doorstep sellers:
1. Don’t sign on the spot
2. Check the trader’s identity – Always ask for an identity card and look up the organisation to check the salesperson’s identity is genuine.
3. Be wary of special offers or warnings about your home
4. Always shop around for the best price
5. Read the small print
6. Double check the facts
7. Talk to someone you trust for a second opinion
8. Don’t hand over a cash deposit
9. Think very carefully before you agree to a trader starting any work straight away
10. Trust your instincts – If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
And finally … it’s OK to say no
If in doubt, visit www.adviceguide.org.uk or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 08454 04 05 06