TRAGEDY PROMPTS SAFETY WARNING

I received the following press release recently. I would urge people to take advantage of the free Home Fire Safety Check, details of which are in the press release below:

“Firefighters are issuing a stark safety warning about the use of electrical extension adaptors following the tragic death of a woman in a house fire.

 It is believed that a damaged four-way adaptor, which had also been severely overloaded, was the cause of a fire in Brown Hill Crescent, Harehills, Leeds on 6 March. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued the lady in her 60s, but unfortunately she died in hospital.

Specialist fire investigation officers have since found that the fire started in a damaged four-way extension adaptor. The adaptor was also overloaded, which is believed to have contributed to the cause of the fire. Three lamps, two televisions, a coffee warmer, a hand-held vacuum, a convector heater, a melted plastic appliance which could not be identified and four four-gang extension sockets were all operating from just one wall socket.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Area Manager Ian Bitcon, responsible for fire safety, said: “Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of this lady who sadly died. We sincerely hope that this will act as a warning to others to make sure they check extension adaptors are in good working order and not overloaded.

Unfortunately, many people aren’t aware that there is a limit to the amount of power that can be plugged into a single socket. Please don’t let this happen to you – check your electrical sockets today.”

A useful socket overload calculator, developed by the Electrical Safety Council, is featured on the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service website:

www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/socket-overload-calculator

in the “Your Safety‟ section.

The interactive calculator shows the power that is used by a range of household appliances and helps people find out what is safe to plug into a four-way adaptor and which combinations are potentially dangerous.

Free home fire safety checks are also available, which usually involve the fitting of smoke alarms. Call 0800 5874536 to book a visit.”