- On the weekend of June 11th/12th 2016, Leeds will host a leg of the World Triathlon Series.
- The main event will be on Sunday 12th which will consist of an amateur/mass participation event (3 distances) in the morning and then Elite Women and Elite Men in the afternoon.
- On Saturday 11th a “GoTri” event will be centred in and around Roundhay Park
- The route has now been confirmed/ratified by the International Triathlon Union and so planning has moved forward and announcements are being made.
Saturday – Overview
- Activities mainly contained in Roundhay Park, but with a cycle route on the highway.
- Only Princes Avenue & Park Avenue will directly impacted by this.
- It is hoped to attract in the region of 3,000 participants to this event.
- The Saturday event is part of a wider development over the year as part of the aspiration to become a ‘triathlon city’
Sunday – Overview
- The event will be start in Roundhay Park (swim) and finish in the City Centre (cycle and run), with the route between shown on the attached maps, see link to website below.
- In the morning there will be three Mass Participation events (Olympic/Sprint/Beginner distances) for approximately 5,500 athletes.
- In the afternoon there will be the women’s and then men’s Elite events. The elite events will have 75 competitors in each.
- The elite events will be shown live on BBC2.
- A website has been established for the event: www.leeds.gov.uk/worldtrileeds
- An interactive map, accessed through the website, has been established that will be updated regularly and residents can access 24/7
- A dedicated email address has been set up to answer any queries on the event: WorldTriathlonLeeds@Leeds.gov.uk