Below is the result of the recent consultation exercise undertaken throughout the village when the following questions were asked:
Speed Limit Reduction considerations:-
- I DO support the lowering of the speed limit to 40mph from the A660 to the old railway bridge and to 30mph from the old railway bridge to the A658.
- I DO NOT support the lowering of the speed limit on Old Pool Bank
Old Pool Bank/ A660 junction design considerations:-
I support the proposal:-
a) to make lower Old Pool Bank one way from the A660, therefore banning
any vehicle from exiting from lower Old Pool Bank onto the A660.
b) to make lower Old Pool Bank one way towards the A660, therefore
banning any movements from the A660 into lower Old Pool Bank.
c) to implement a movement ban, which would prohibit the left turn from the
A660 into lower Old Pool Bank.
I do not support any changes at this junction
2. QUESTIONNAIRE RESPONSES
We collated all of the responses submitted and then passed them onto Highways to carry out their own analysis.
Our initial analysis was as follows:
- Speed Limit Changes
Number of surveys returned 223
Yes to reducing the speed limit 211
No to reducing the speed limit 9
19 people have made additional comments in the body of the questionnaire or on the rear of the document that would need a response from Highways.
- Changes to Old Pool Bank/A660 junction design considerations.
Support for Option A 44
Support for Option B 75
Support for Option C 60
Support for No Action at all 75
32 people made comments in the body of the questionnaire or on the rear of the document that would need a response from Highways.
- Analysis of Old Pool Bank Responses
A sub-analysis of people living on Old Pool Bank or exiting directly on to Old Pool Bank showed:
Number of surveys returned 85
Yes to reducing the speed limit 75
No to reducing the speed limit 6
Support for A 18
Support for B 33
Support for C 33
Support for No Action at all 16
I then asked Highways to advise of their own analysis of the returns, and subsequently met with the Senior Highways Engineer responsible for these proposals and he confirmed that he agreed with the analysis.
3. Conclusions Reached by Highways and Next Actions
- The speed limit will be changed on lower Old Pool Bank
- The speed limit in the A660 will be changed just past the houses on Cragg View going in the direction of Otley**(see below)
- No action will taken on changes to the Bar House/Old Pool Bank junction at this stage.
- Highways still feel the A660 should have a Mobile Speed Camera on it, so far the Camera Partnership has said no.
- The Highways Officer will compile a report to the Partnership.
4. Latest Comment/Update from Highways
“My report to the camera partnership has been submitted to approve the site for mobile camera enforcement and I haven’t had confirmation to date.
**I have drafted a report to be considered by my Chief Officer to change the speed limit on the A660 and to relocate the start of the 40mph limit. This will then enable the village gateway signs to be erected where the present speed limit signs are located.
Once a response if received from the Camera Partnership I will include this within the Highway Board report for consideration and approval.”
The officer has clarified that the National Speed Limit sign will be moved north of Cragg View thus making a longer stretch of 40mph. He is then recommending that the National Speed Limit section be reduced to 50mph to Otley from that point.