I have received a leaflet from the Neighbourhood Policing Crime Prevention Officer in relation to patio doors. The following advice is given:
- Are your patio doors secluded?
- Are they as secure as they could be?
- Do you leave attractive items on view through them?
- If you are buying new patio doors make sure they meet PAS24 standards
- Can your patio doors be lifted out of their tracks? Keep them locked and the key in a safe place rather than in the lock.
- If your patio doors have euro cylinder locks make sure they meet current standards TS 007 (3 star rating) or Sold Secure Diamond standard (SS312)
- Don’t leave attractive items on view through your patio doors e.g laptops, tablets, car keys.
- A range of devices are available to make your patio doors more secure – always consult your local Neighbourhood Crime Prevention Officer to determine the best options.
- Consider setting up a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme on your street.