I have been sent the latest OPAL newsletter and the information below.
If you would like a pdf copy of the newsletter please email me at email@example.com
Welcome to OPAL’s May/June newsletter.
Thank you to the many people who are volunteering, donating and/or fundraising for us – it is heart-warming to see so many people putting themselves forward to help.
Support for people in Adel & Wharfedale and Weetwood Wards:
- OPAL is specifically providing support to people with postcodes beginning LS16 6**, LS16 7**, LS16 8** and we are supporting OPAL members in LS16 9**.
- Bramhope Coronavirus Support Group is supporting people with postcodes beginning LS16 9**
- Interact (firstname.lastname@example.org) are supporting people with postcodes LS6 4**
- STEP (email@example.com) are supporting with postcodes LS16 5** and LS6 3**
OPAL’s support includes:
- Delivering emergency food parcels and shopping vouchers
- Picking up prescriptions
- A phone buddy scheme connecting volunteers to people who are self-isolating
- Matching volunteer shoppers to people who are self-isolating
- Delivering jigsaws and books to people who are self-isolating
- Delivering freshly cooked hot meals (Monday, Tuesday and Friday). We are charging £3.50 per main meal and have a little bit more capacity.
- Matching people who are self-isolating to IT phone buddies –to help them use smart phones, IPads, tablets etc. for social interaction.
- Providing transport to unavoidable appointments.
- Providing emotional support and information.
- If you need any other help, call us and we will do our best
- We are encouraging as many people to make windsocks and put them in their gardens. It’s an easy activity that can use recycling materials so no cost and no need to go shopping. It might be nice for members of the community to spot the different windsocks as they take their daily exercise. Leeds16 could be the ‘windsock capital’! I have attached an instruction leaflet which you are welcome to share with anyone you think might be interested.
- Over the next few weeks, we will be posting a leaflet to all of LS16 area giving details of useful contacts/information. This will hopefully ensure that all those without access to the internet will know who to contact for support.
- OPAL have currently got 98 active volunteers from Doing Good Leeds and 32 OPAL volunteers still volunteering.
- We have 118 volunteers awaiting tasks.
- 583 people have a telephone buddy check and chat,
- 279 contacts made with people referred (matching with shoppers, food parcels etc.)
- 115 hot meals delivered each week.
- Various queries ongoing every day + emotional support.
- 2 IPads loaned out (we have 2 more IPads and 5 Alexa’s to loan courtesy of Leeds Libraries)
- 700 OPAL newsletters delivered to OPAL members
We do have capacity to support more people so if you know of anyone struggling, please let us know. People can contact us directly or you can refer them to us by phone/email. If the individual needs a food parcel or shopping voucher, they need to be referred to Leeds Council Helpline first (0113 378 1877).